Wednesday

A bit of advice

If you go to a cafe, and who doesn't these days, there are things that can make both you, and your servers life a lot easier. If you are at a decent cafe listen to the person behind the counter, for the most part they know what they are doing. Today I had a women ask me for a 'medium shot' of espresso and a bit of hot water. I expressed my confusion as there is no such thing as a medium shot of espresso. All she did was repeat that she wanted a medium shot of espresso. I decided she wanted a long shot americano and made her one. Unfortunately she thought it tasted like the espresso from one of those pre-packaged espresso machine, like the tassimo. We don't use a machine like that, and I told her. She kept insisting that's what her americano tasted like. I offered to make her another americano and she assented as long as we make it from ground beens and not the pre-packaged espresso. With that I walked away and let the other person behind the bar make her drink. At this point in time we both felt like hitting her. She didn't no what she was talking about, yet she insisted on talking like she did. This isn't the first time I've run into people talking to you like you don't know what you are doing. I had another lady ask for a earl grey tea with steamed milk and vanilla (the ingredients in a London Fog). I offered her a london fog, and she said no. I offered her a earl grey tea misto with vanilla and she assented. I was mystified, it's the exact same drink. There is a lot of stupid lingo surrounding the coffee industry. I know that, it can be hard to figure out what is what. But if you don't know enquire, and then trust your server. If they're wrong you can always go back and ask them to exchange your drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

  • 12 (3)
  • 11 (2)
  • 9 (8)
  • 8 (1)
  • 7 (3)
  • 6 (2)
  • 5 (4)
  • 4 (1)
  • 3 (2)
  • 2 (4)
  • 1 (4)
  • 12 (2)
  • 11 (7)
  • 9 (2)
  • 8 (3)
  • 7 (3)
  • 6 (2)
  • 5 (2)
  • 4 (3)
  • 3 (6)